Beginning painters, art students, and crafters who want to explore the medium of acrylic paint will want to know the best acrylic paint for their projects. This interesting and relatively new, modern painting medium gives the artist many options for different finishes. People familiar with oil color and watercolor painting will find acrylic paint opening new possibilities in their work.
Top 5 Best Acrylic Paint: Editor Recommended
Some people dilute acrylic paint and come up with artwork that resembles watercolor with brighter colors. Oil painting artists may welcome the more rapid drying time available with acrylic paints. Acrylic paint is an exciting medium, and it is one that is relatively easy to explore because of the reasonable price of acrylic paints and brushes.
- Our 10 Best Acrylic Paint Reviews:
- 1. U.S. Art Supply 8 Color Metallic Acrylic Paint Jar Set
- 2. Golden High Flow Acrylic
- 3. Castle Art Supplies Acrylic Paint Set
- 4. Apple Barrel PROMOABI
- 5. Myartscape Acrylic Paint Set
- 6. ARTEZA Acrylic Paint
- 7. Liquitex Basics 48 Tube Acrylic Paint Set
- 8. Creative Joy CJAPB01 Acrylic Paint Set
- 9. Americana Dazzling Metallics Fan Favorites Sampler Set
- 10. Grumbacher Academy Acrylic Paint
- Product FAQ’s: Frequently Ask Question About Acrylic Paint
- The Best Acrylic Paint Set Depends On The Artist And The Projects
- Top Brands Offer Sets Compatible With A Wide Range Of Products
Our 10 Best Acrylic Paint Reviews:
1. U.S. Art Supply 8 Color Metallic Acrylic Paint Jar Set
- 8 High Quality Vivid Colors in Large 100ML Jars: A full rainbow of 8 unique eye-catching vibrant metallic acrylic colors at your disposal! U.S. Art Supplies superior performing artist acrylic paints will bring your artwork to life. They're ideal for use by professional artists, as well as the young aspiring artist.
- Premium Professional Grade: The high intensity colors are made with premium quality artist pigments. The paints smooth consistency allows the colors to be easily dissolved with water for easy colour mixing and blending. Versatile acrylic paint that's suitable for use by students to professional illustrators. Use it with most art media for creating crafts, portrait paintings, abstracts, landscapes, scenery and other artistic creations.
- Fun, Safe and Easy to Use: Our acrylic paints are kid safe as they are non-toxic, water-based, acid-free and conform to ASTM D4236 and EN71. Children, adults, art students and teachers love our paints because they are easy to use and provide brilliant visual color results.
The U.S. Art Supply 8 Color Metallic Acrylic Paint Jar Set includes eight jars of vivid color metallic paints in 100 ml/3.4 ounce jars. These paints are made with premium quality artist pigments for intense color. They are water-based, non-toxic, and acid-free. They have a smooth consistency and can be mixed with water for color mixing, blending, and watercolor applications.
This paint creates a shimmering pearlescent metallic effect that is ideal for many crafting projects as well as for fine art applications from student projects to professional illustration work. U.S. Art Supply extends a 100% lifetime satisfaction guarantee on these paints.
2. Golden High Flow Acrylic
- Set of ten- 1 oz bottles
- Compatible with Golden Acrylics and Mediums
- Works in virtually any artist tool
The Golden High Flow Acrylic Assorted 10 Color Set has 10 one-ounce bottles of liquid acrylics in colors of Burnt Sienna, Carbon Black, Quinacridone Magenta, Hansa Yellow Medium, Quin/Nickel Azo Gold, Napthol Red Light, Phthalo Blue, Phthalo Green, Ultra Green, Ultra Blue, and Titanium White.
This paint is compatible with the entire line of Golden acrylics and mediums and will work in all artist tools. The lightfastness rating of each color is listed on the bottle. This is a best acrylic paint for use in refillable tools like fountain pens, airbrushes, and markers as well as with brushes. They are especially suited for fine detail, for staining effects, and for calligraphy. The fluid consistency is the unique quality of this set.
3. Castle Art Supplies Acrylic Paint Set
- TOP QUALITY PAINTS THAT WON’T LET YOU DOWN! Painting with acrylics has never been easier or more fun! Achieve results you can’t wait to show off with this popular selection of top-quality acrylic paints, known for their rich, velvety texture and vibrant results.
- EASY TO USE & SMOOTH APPLICATION (22ml). This clever paint is specially formulated to give aspiring and accomplished artists alike a medium that delivers bright, lasting results without the headaches (and clutter!) associated with oils. Simply squeeze the paint direct from the tube or thin with water for finer details and layering.
- LAY DOWN VIVID, COLOURFUL LAYERS (LARGE 22ML TUBES). The quick drying nature of our paints means you can lay down layers without muddying your colors – we know how that frustrating that can be! A firm favourite with thousands of our customers, this wonderful range of 48 stunning colors is sure to inspire creativity and flair in any passionate artist.
This Castle Art Supplies Acrylic Paint Set is a 24-tube set of 12ml/0.4 ounce acrylic paints that give beginners a wide color palette without having to mix colors. They are formulated to have a smooth, satiny finish and are water-based and non-toxic. These paints are flexible and remain workable rather than drying out too quickly.
They will work well on paper, canvas, wood, and fabric. Castle offers a “Better Than Money Back” satisfaction guarantee on their paints.
4. Apple Barrel PROMOABI
- This Apple Barrel Acrylic Paint set comes with 18 – 2 oz bottles in the colors: White, Yellow Flame, Bright Yellow, Bright Magenta, Fuchsia, Jack-o-lantern, Flag Red, Purple Iris, Parrot Blue, Bimini Blue, Bright Blue, Too Blue, New Shamrock, Holly Branch, Nutmeg Brown, Melted Chocolate, Pewter Grey, and Black
- Formulated for use on all surfaces including wood, Styrofoam, plaster, terra cotta and tin
- Colors glide on smoothly, dry quickly and stay beautiful as the day they were painted
The PROMOABI by Apple Barrel is one of the Plaid paint brands. This set has 18, two-ounce bottles in a range of colors suitable for many craft projects. These paints can be applied to a wide variety of surfaces by brush or used with sponges and stencils as well as for rubber stamping. They are water-based and will clean up with soap and water.
The colors include White, Black, Flag Red, Jock-o-lantern, Bright Blue, Melted Chocolate, Nutmeg Brown, Bright Yellow, New Shamrock, Bimini Blue, Purple Iris, Too Blue, Holly Branch, Fuchsia, Yellow Flame, Pewter Grey, Bright Magenta, and Parrot Blue. This is a quick-drying paint ideal for stamping and craft projects.
5. Myartscape Acrylic Paint Set
- ACRYLIC ART PAINT SET - 24 x 12ml tubes of non-toxic professional artist quality paints - MyArtscape
- VERSATILE PAINTS - for painting canvas, fabric, paper, ceramic, clay, wood, metal, nails & crafts
- LASTING VIBRANT COLORS - lay down vivid, highly pigmented acrylic colors that stay that way
The MyArtscape™ Acrylic Paint Set has 48, 12 ml/0.4 ounce tubes. This is a thick, heavy-bodied paint with high pigment load. This paint is non-toxic and delivers superior lightfastness as well as being waterproof. These paints are suitable for a wide range of fine art applications as well as craft projects and nail art.
They come with a one-year, hassle-free replacement guarantee. Colors include Titanium White, Flesh Tint, Naples Yellow, Lemon Yellow, Pale Yellow, Mid Yellow, Deep Yellow, Yellow Ochre, Gold, Pearl Copper, Orange Yellow, Orange Red, Vermilion, Scarlet, Crimson, Purple Red, Red Ochre, Rose, Rose Madder, Pink, Light Magenta, Pale Mauve, Violet, Sky Blue, Cobalt Blue, Cerulean Blue. Ultramarine Blue, Phthalo Blue, Prussian Blue, Yellow Green, Pale Green, Emerald, Mid Green, Sap Green, Prussian Green, Olive Green, Viridian, Phthalo Green, Deep Green, Raw Sienna, Burnt Sienna, Burnt Umber, Raw Umber, Vandyke Brown, Silver, Grey, Payne’s Gray, and Black.
6. ARTEZA Acrylic Paint
- Exciting Selection of Artist-Quality Colors: Whether you’re new to acrylic painting or a seasoned artist, colors like Lemon Yellow, Phthalo Blue & Crimson Red will set fire to your imagination.
- Rich, Vivid Pigments: Your premium acrylic paint kit features smooth, highly pigmented color to produce true, consistent shades. Ideal for canvas painting, these colors won’t fade over time.
- Certified Safe & Non-Toxic: No need to worry about toxicity with our acrylic paints. They’re ACMI-certified safe for your complete peace of mind. Great for creative adults, teens and kids.
This Arteza Acrylic Paint Set contains 14, 120ml/4.06-ounce pouches of high viscosity acrylic paint with a handy storage box. The color range is suitable for fine art and craft projects and includes Titanium White, Lemon Yellow, Yellow Ochre, Scarlet Red, Burnt Sienna, Crimson Red, Burnt Umber, Pale Green, Phthalo Green, Ultramarine Blue, Phthalo Blue, Mars Black, and metallic colors of Gold and Silver. The pouches reseal tightly. This paint is non-toxic and comes with a 100% money-back guarantee. Each pouch is labeled with information about that color’s lightfastness and pigment.
7. Liquitex Basics 48 Tube Acrylic Paint Set
- WHY BASICS; Liquitex invented artists' acrylics back in 1955 and we've specialized in acrylics ever since; Basics gives you the perfect balance of quality and economy; Made for all artists; Basics acrylics are student quality
- HIGHEST QUALITY PIGMENTS Basics uses the the same high quality pigments and rigorous manufacturing process as our professional range; Pigments are ground with tiny reinforced ceramic beads to give fine dispersion, great color development, strength, and brightness
- VERSATILE Basics acrylic dries quickly and can be cleaned up with water while wet. It can easily flex, and sticks to almost any surface including canvas, paper & board, wood, masonry, metal, styrofoam, stone, ceramics, and textiles
The Liquitex Basics 48 Tube Acrylic Paint Set contains 48, 22ml/0.75 ounce tubes of popular Liquitex colors. This line of paints has been developed for students and for artists who need good quality paint at an economical price. The paint is heavy-bodied acrylic with a buttery smooth consistency for a smooth finish and easy blending. The paint contains permanent artist pigments and will retain peaks and brush strokes. This is a good set for learning color theory and mixing.
This paint can be used with the entire range of Liquitex Professional Acrylic Paints and all Liquitex acrylic mediums. The large color range includes primary colors and earth tones and provides an extensive color selection in one set. Liquitex Basics paints are well-suited for traditional canvas artwork but also will work well for thick applications where brush strokes and knife patterns are desired. It will work well for screen printing, mono-printing, and block printing.
8. Creative Joy CJAPB01 Acrylic Paint Set
- IN YOUR ART PAINT SET: One dozen 12 ml (0.42 fl oz) tubes of nontoxic acrylic paint; six assorted brushes with soft flexible nylon bristles. The nontoxic water-based acrylic paints are ASTM D-4236 and EN 71-3 certified.
- 12 PREMIUM ACRYLIC PAINT COLORS: Crimson Red, Vermillion, Lemon Yellow, Yellow Ochre, Ultramarine, Cerulean, White, Black, Hooker’s Green, Viridian, Burnt Sienna and Burnt Umber are part of the best acrylic paint set for beginners.
- SIX ESSENTIAL ACRYLIC PAINT BRUSHES: Enjoy shading, outlining and detailing using the acrylic paint brush set with comfort handles designed to fit large and small hands. EASY CLEANUP—just wash brushes in water and stand to dry.
The Creative Joy CJAPB01 Acrylic Paint Set & Brushes contains twelve, 12ml/0.42 ounce tubes of acrylic paint and six soft nylon bristle brushes. This is a beginner set with a color assortment that includes Crimson Red, Vermillion, Lemon Yellow, Yellow Ochre, Ultramarine, Cerulean, White, Black, Hooker’s Green, Viridian, Burnt Sienna, and Burnt Umber.
This very economically priced set has a good assortment of brush shapes for shading, outlining, and detailing and includes round, flat, angle, liner, and shader brushes. Handles are designed to fit comfortably in all-sized hands including children’s. The brushes clean easily in water. The set has a 100% money-back guarantee.
9. Americana Dazzling Metallics Fan Favorites Sampler Set
- Non toxic and water based
- Durable finish
- Use on virtually any craft surface
The Americana Dazzling Metallics Fan Favorites Sampler Set has 18, two-ounce bottles of metallic paints suitable for art, craft, and home decor projects where a metallic color or shimmer is desired. These paints contain bright metallic flakes and are formulated to produce opaque coverage in a unique range of colors.
10. Grumbacher Academy Acrylic Paint
- 6-color set includes one tube each: Burnt Sienna, Cadmium Yellow Medium Hue, Grumbacher Red, Raw Umber, Titanium White, and Ultramarine Blue
- ASTM lightfast rating of 1- Excellent
- Highly pigmented and superior tinting strength
The Grumbacher Academy Acrylic 6-Color Mixing Set contains six, 90ml/3 ounce metal tubes with an introductory assortment of mixing colors including Burnt Sienna, Cadmium Yellow Medium Hue, Grumbacher Red, Raw Umber, Titanium White, and Ultramarine Blue. The Academy paint line has been developed to gives students a high-quality paint at an affordable price.
The six colors in this set are part of a range of 48 colors that include traditional colors, process colors, metallic, and iridescent colors. All have an excellent lightfast rating.
Product FAQ’s: Frequently Ask Question About Acrylic Paint
Image source: Pixabay
1. What Is Acrylic Paint?
Originally developed as a formula for house paint, the artistic applications of the acrylic product led to the development of a wide range of acrylic paint formulas. Acrylic paint is made from an acrylic resin derived from acrylic acid, which is produced using propylene, a byproduct created during gasoline production. The base suspension is a polymer emulsion that gives acrylic paint its unique qualities of short drying time and long-lasting color and textures.
2. What Are The Applications For Acrylic Paint?
Fine artists have been using acrylic paint since the 1940s. Many artists use it exclusively, while others also use oil, watercolor, and other media. Acrylic paint works well for many techniques used by crafters and in home decor projects. It is an excellent medium for printmaking, for collages, for rubber stamping, and stenciling.
3. What Is The Best Acrylic Paint For Fine Art Projects?
Identifying the best acrylic paint will be a subjective issue depending on the individual artist and their specific projects. Top names in the art industry, including Golden, Liquitex, and Grumbacher featured in this review, all have long track records of making high-quality student and professional grade acrylic products. Pigment quality, lightfastness, and permanence are important qualities for fine art projects.
4. What Makes The Best Acrylic Paint For Craft Projects?
Crafters want color options for their work and will look at the color offerings of the brands available. But, they also may want quicker drying time for their projects and will want a paint that excels at that.
5. What Acrylic Paint Set Is The Best?
Even artists with extensive inventories of paints will find some of the sets in this review to be especially interesting. The two sets of metallic paints offer assortments of unique products that can be used alone or in combination with other paint media. The option of purchasing a set of these paints is an attractive way to add them to the artist’s paint collection. Many sets are geared to providing a student or beginner with a good selection of colors that fit the quantity they will need. Our range of sets offer assortments from six to 48 colors in tubes and jars starting at 12 ml and going up to 120 ml.
How We Reviewed The Best Acrylic Paint
Image source: Pixabay
The sets we identify as the best acrylic paint sets are based on the reputation of the manufacturers, the customer satisfaction guarantees offered, the safety of the products, and the color and consistency qualities of the paint. Paint brands offer different qualities and advantages which will appeal to artists based on the work they are doing. There is no one perfect paint for all applications, so we have selected a range of products that will cover the options most artists and crafters are looking for.
Overall Price Range
The paint sets we reviewed contain different numbers of colors and different size containers, so for the sake of comparison, we rate the price of each set based on the price per ounce of the paint in the set. Our range is from around $.50 per ounce to around $3.50 per ounce, and the sets are rated $, $$ and $$$ based on their relationship to the other sets in this review. All the sets are available through Amazon.com.
What We Reviewed
- U.S. Art Supply 8 Color Metallic Acrylic Paint Jar Set
- Golden High Flow Acrylic
- Castle Art Supplies Acrylic Paint Set
- Apple Barrel PROMOABI
- Myartscape Acrylic Paint Set
- ARTEZA Acrylic Paint
- Liquitex Basics 48 Tube Acrylic Paint Set
- Creative Joy CJAPB01 Acrylic Paint Set
- AMERICANA DAZZLING METALLICS FAN FAVORITES SAMPLER SET
- GRUMBACHER Academy Acrylic Paint
The Best Acrylic Paint Set Depends On The Artist And The Projects
Image source: Pexels
For craft projects and beginners who want a wide assortment of already mixed colors, the larger assortments may be more appealing. The metallic paint sets fill a unique niche for those who want that particular effect.
Our selection of the best acrylic paint offers sets that allow beginners to get a taste for a product in small quantities with a palette of colors. The Golden, Liquitex and Grumbacher products are all part of brands that offer compatible products to use with the paints in their sets and replacement products available.
Top Brands Offer Sets Compatible With A Wide Range Of Products
Golden High Flow Acrylic Paint is definitely one of the best acrylic paint products. It has a unique consistency different from the thicker paint products and can be used in conjunction with other acrylics and mediums. The Liquitex Basics Set, with an assortment of 48 colors, offers a great starter palette for students and beginning acrylic artists. Each set in our review is of excellent quality and the best acrylic paint for some artists, some applications, and some budgets.
Watercolor and oil paints vary tremendously in pricing from student grade to professional. The range in price among acrylic brands is not nearly as dramatic, and the acrylic paint customer can choose from a wide variety of consistencies and color options all within a moderate price range. Students will want to choose a set that meets their class needs. For fine art students, the small sets of colors suitable for mixing will be the best acrylic paint choice.