The knee is one of the most important joints of the human body, providing support and flexibility needed to play sports, run, and engage in everyday activities for work and leisure.
But it’s also one of the joints most vulnerable to damage, and knee surgeries make up a large percentage of orthopedic operations each year and come with an extended recovery period.
The good news is, the best knee braces can provide the knee support you need to alleviate pain and prevent injuries and surgeries.
5 Best Knee Brace: Editor Recommended
Your joints are important, and while many braces boast of giving you the support and protection you need, not all deliver what you want from the best knee braces: and you don’t want to find out yours is lacking once you get an injury.
We’ve put together a list of the ten best knee braces to protect your knee and aid recovery so you don’t have to put yourself under the knife.[toc]
10 Best Best Knee Brace Review:
1. Copper Knee Sleeve – Knee Brace
- (SINGLE)Ergonomically designed copper knee brace, with the best compression technology, can achieve comprehensive protection. Slow shock and decompression, disperse knee pressure, improve blood circulation, protect knee from injury.
- Designed for everyday use and outdoor activities- The knee braces for knee pain women and men can help you recover faster ,help relieve arthritis knee pain. Enjoy the fun of sports! It is ideal for work that requires regular knee use, such as...
- [High Copper Content ] 60% Copper ion fiber with high copper content and tested by laboratory composition analysis. Help relieve swelling and muscle soreness; The copper knee sleeve adopts a new type of 3D weaving technology and is easy to dry,...
- [NoN-SLIP Grip] After two hours of continuous exercise in the gym, the sleeves barely slipped. You will love the feeling of athletics with our knee sleeves. But please be sure to follow our size chart instead of your habits. Latex / Silicone people...
- [Worry-free Shopping] 100% after-sales guarantee. Our copper knee compression sleeves are primarily based on compressive and copper ion fiber to exert constant pressure on the knee joint, and provide muscle support during daily exercise and activity. If...
If you want a low-cost knee brace that won’t weigh you down while offering the support you need to protect your knees, this model comes in a two-pack and provides gentle compression ideal for reducing swelling. The knee brace is designed with thirty percent embedded copper for natural healing properties and improved circulation.
The best selling point of this knee brace is that it is lightweight and comfortable with moisture and odor-resistant properties, but it won’t provide the heavy protection needed for post-surgery healing.
- Low-cost but durable knee brace
- Infused with copper for improved circulation and healing
- Lightweight and moisture-resistant
- Comes in a two-pack
- Not sturdy enough for more serious protection
2. BioSkin Gladiator Knee Brace
- FRONT CLOSURE: Easy application and adjustment with a wrap-around design. See size chart in second image for sizing measurements to ensure a comfortable fit.
- CONTROLLABLE PROTECTION: Limit painful movements and protect damaged ligaments with a durable 15 inch range of motion hinge and rigid strapping system. Easily set the hinge to control extension and flexion.
- REGULATE PAIN: Decrease pain and swelling with the Visco gel ring which surrounds your patella.
- HYPOALLERGENIC: Constructed from BioSkin's thin, strong, and breathable material. All BioSkin material is hypoallergenic. Latex free and Neoprene Free.
- TRUSTED BRAND: Over 40 professional teams trust BioSkin to keep their athletes functioning at the highest possible level.
BioSkin is a high-end company known for its durable and physician-recommended braces and protective gear, and this front-closure model is one of the best heavy-duty knee braces for injury recovery.
The rigid strapping system lets you tighten the brace to the perfect fit, and the fifteen-inch durable hinge provides maximum protection for vulnerable ligaments. The adjustable motion hinge lets you increase mobility as you heal, and the integrated gel ring around the knee bone provides comfort and reduces swelling.
Made from proprietary materials, this is a knee brace best for those recovering from surgery or serious injuries and comes with a high price tag.
- Durable and heavy-duty knee protection
- Ideal for injury recovery and swelling reduction
- Easy to adjust as recovery proceeds
- Comes with a reputation for quality
- Extremely expensive
- Less flexible than other models
3. Shock Doctor Knee Brace Compression Sleeve Support
- SUPPORT / RELIEF – Get instant relief thanks to the compression and Pre-Curved design support. Our brace will stabilize your knee, preventing injury and help healing. The compression increases blood flow which lowers swelling and pain.
- LATEX FREE COMFORT – Extremely breathable and low profile snug fit. N-Tex neoprene for therapeutic warmth and healing. Don’t settle for the bulky, hot and stiff braces.
- SHOCK DOCTOR GUARANTY – We have been a leader in the protective gear and sports therapy field for 20 years. Our continual innovation is trusted by professional athletes, college athletes, and most importantly, by millions of users around the world.
- PREMIUM QUALITY – Made from the highest grades materials, our knee sleeve brace is made with protection and mobility as our top priorities. Take advantage of the years of Shock Doctor’s experience in the Sports Medicine field to your best benefit.
- 100% MONEY BACK GUARANTEE - If you are not COMPLETELY satisfied, get in touch with us and we will provide you with an instant solution. For both right or left leg.
- SIZING NOTE - This product is intended to be close fitting for the best support and protection. Although, If the customers measurements are close to the maximum size range, we recommend they select the next size up for comfort.
A reliable, simple, and low-cost model that provides above-average protection, this knee compression sleeve resolves the issue of bunching and slipping with a slip-resistant silicone gripper lining. It’s stretchy and flexible, making it easy to put on and keep on thanks to the lycra bindings, and the body is made from breathable moisture-wicking neoprene.
The compression design is ideal for supporting joint health and circulation, and the lightweight build is best for preventing injuries and aiding recovery from sprains and strains.
This is not a model for recovery from surgery or serious injuries, but it’s a good preventive measure to avoid them.
- Lightweight and flexible knee brace
- Won’t bunch or slip during a workout
- Material is breathable and moisture-resistant
- Comfortable for extended usage
- Not heavy-duty protection for serious injuries
4. DonJoy Tru-Pull Lite Knee Support Brace
A strong mid-priced design, this model from DonJoy gets high marks for providing heavy-duty support while not being nearly as bulky as the other post-surgery models on the list.
It’s a comfortable full-knee support brace that offers patella support to correct minor dislocations, and the removable plastic hinges are ideal for limiting motion in the early recovery phases.
It’s made from proprietary Breath-O-Prene material that keeps your knee cool and dry during workouts, and it won’t pick up microbes or fungi.
This is one of the best models on the list because it can transition seamlessly from post-surgery security to comfortable workout gear.
- Lighter and less obvious than most heavy-duty braces
- Excellent patella support for post-dislocation recovery
- Material resists water and microbes
- Switches between secure and flexible modes
- One of the more expensive models on the list
5. Copper Wear Compression Knee Sleeve
A low-cost, lightweight knee support ideal for preventing sprains and relieving minor muscle pain, this copper-infused sleeve is more for everyday use than for injury recovery. The elastic strip makes it a good fit for all knee sizes.
It expands and contracts as needed, and it provides gentle compression to reduce swelling and prevent tendons from overextending. The copper infusion improves circulation and increases performance in a match, while the brace has therapeutic benefits for your soft tissue.
This is one of the most comfortable sleeve braces to wear thanks to the breathable and lightweight material, which comes with anti-moisture and anti-microbial technology.
- Low-cost and lightweight model
- Flexible and fits all knee sizes
- Copper infusion increases circulation and reduces swelling
- Comfortable and moisture-resistant
- Not ideal for injury recovery
6. Hinged Knee Brace
- IMPROVED KNEE STABILITY AND SUPPORT: The Vive hinged knee brace provides comfortable support while recovering from injuries or surgeries, and additional stability for weak or arthritic knees. The reversible, nonslip knee brace also provides soothing...
- ADJUSTABLE OPEN PATELLA DESIGN: Secured with four strong fastener straps, the Vive hinged knee brace easily adjusts to fit most adults. The open patella design relieves pressure on the knee cap while providing stabilizing support for ACL and MCL injuries,...
- REMOVABLE SUPPORT HINGES: Improving medial and lateral stability, the hinged knee brace includes two removable hinges to support the knee ligaments, tendons and joints. Made with tempered aluminum, the hinges are easily removed from the integrated sleeves...
- BREATHABLE AND LIGHTWEIGHT: Naturally moisture-wicking, the hinged compression knee brace is made with a latex-free, neoprene blend that stays cool and dry all day. The breathable brace is lightweight and features a slim profile that can easily be worn...
- VIVE GUARANTEE: 60 day guarantee so you can purchase now with confidence.
Another popular model from high-end sports gear company BioSkin, this hinged knee brace is ideal for controlling post-injury swelling thanks to the high-compression material that ensures a comfortable fit.
The wrap-around design takes less to apply than the other BioSkin model on the list, with a simple strapping system and no-slip technology making it a comfortable fit. Despite its heavy-duty protection, it’s a lightweight and comfortable knee brace with offset bicentric hinges ideal for post-surgery protection.
The material comes recommended by orthopedic experts, and its breathable and hypoallergenic build is perfect for an extended workout.
- Offers heavy-duty protection thanks to hinges
- Easy to apply and remove thanks to simple strap system
- BioSkin has a reputation for quality
- Tight compression and easy adjustability
- One of the most expensive models on the list
7. ACE Brand Knee Brace with Dual Side Stabilizers
- Improved size range. Fits 16” – 22
- Provides stabilizing compression to weak, sore muscles and joints
- Dual side stabilizers for lateral support
- Comfort-sleeve holds brace in place, making it easier to put on and Adjust
- Soft, neoprene-blend material is breathable to help keep you cooler and drier
- Designed to fit the contours of your knee
- Adjustable straps for customizable support
ACE is one of the most well-known brands for orthopedic support, best known for their elastic bandages, and this lightweight and low-cost brace is ideal for providing stabilizing compression for minor aches and pains.
The size range has increased, covering knees from sixteen to twenty-two-inches, and it comes with dual-side stabilizers to prevent ligament damage. It’s made from a soft neoprene blend for maximum durability, and the material is breathable and wicks away moisture during workouts.
Built to fit the contours of a knee and with easy-to-adjust straps for the perfect fit, it’s an ideal solution to heal a minor injury before it gets worse.
- Low-cost and comfortable model
- Fits a wide size range
- Easy to apply and remove
- Breathable, moisture-wicking material
- Lateral stabilizers prevent injury
- Not as flexible as other brands
8. McDavid Knee Brace
- No Gears; each sidearm is independently articulated with cushioned hyperextension stops
- McDavid's lightest hinge: Made with wider arms to aid in maintaining strength. Engineered straps assure personalized fit
- Latex-Free neoprene provides compression and therapeutic heat. Open 360 degree padded buttress isolates and supports the patella
- Bound edges prevent skin irritation while perforated back panel provides heat and moisture management for all-around comfort, Exterior later of nylon fabric for increased durability.
- If at the top of the size chart to select the next size up or if at the bottom of the size chart to go down a size. Fits left or right knee
If you want high-end performance without high-end pricing, this model from McDavid is a hinged knee brace that offers ideal post-surgical support and pain relief without restricting your movement. It fits both the left and right knee and has a wider range than most knee braces to help you work out and easy-to-use straps for maximum adjustability.
It’s made from latex-free neoprene that provides gentle compression while warming the knee and wicking away moisture, making it ideal for extended workouts.
The nylon fabric extender prevents tearing, and the adjustable hinges make this a perfect brace for transition from recovery to workouts.
- Heavy-duty protection at a reasonable price
- Easy to adjust during recovery
- Breathable latex-free construction keeps you dry
- Hinges provide much-needed support
- Bulkier than other braces
9. Pro-Tec Gel-Force Knee Support
- Thick gel provides comfortable stabilization to the knee, and absorption of dynamic forces.
- 4way stretch material provides supportive compression while allowing full range of motion.
- Light, breathable fabric keeps skin dry reducing any fabric irritation.
- Medial and lateral sprial stays provide knee joint stability.
- Measure size using the circumference of the knee 1 inch above top of patella. Small (13” – 14”), Medium (14” – 16"), Large (16” – 18”), Xlarge (18” – 20")
- Sizing Chart: Item 7200 Small (13” – 14”) Item 7201 Medium (14” – 16") Item 7202 Large (16” – 18”) Item 7203 Xlarge (18” – 20") (Circumference measured 1” above top of patella)
A lightweight and stretchy knee brace ideal for protecting weak knees from sprains and strains, this model gets high marks for its comfortable design and thick gel padding. It’s made from four-way stretch material that provides gentle compression on the knee without restricting your motion range, and the elastic will fit any knee size.
The lightweight, breathable, and moisture-wicking fabric is perfect for longer workouts, and it comes with lateral and medial spiral stays that prevent overextension and ligament tears.
- Gel padding for extra comfort
- Stretchy material allows for a flexible fit
- Lightweight, breathable, and moisture-resistant
- Dual stays prevent knee injuries
- Blue color is noticeable
10. Bracoo Knee Support
- Customisable Open-Patella Design - Popular orthopaedic brace relieves pressure and stress on the knee-joint during exercise; fully adjustable straps can be attached to almost any exterior point helping to prevent slippage and accommodate a broad range of...
- Reinforced Stabilizer Ring - Ensures the knee cap remains in proper position during flexion and extension, helping to evenly distribute stress across the ACL, PCL, LCL & MCL ligaments; Increased stability leads to improved leg alignment for optimal...
- Effective Relief & Support - Eases chronic and acute knee pain associated with arthritis, strains, sprains and fatigue; ideal for post-surgery rehabilitation or use in sports such as walking, hiking, golf, cycling and many more.
- Breathable & Skin-Friendly - Premium-grade neoprene increases circulation resulting in faster healing time: tiny perforations in the fabric help reduce unwanted moisture, itchiness and odours.
- Universal Fit - Single support, wearable on either the left or right knee - adjustable high-grip strapping fits knees from 12.5" to 18" (32 to 46cm) in circumference.
Bracoo is a well-regarded brand for low-cost joint support, and this knee brace has a comfortable open-patella design that relieves stress around the knee while stabilizing the joint with padding. It’s fastened with a trio of velcro straps that let you customize your fit, and it won’t bunch or slip during workouts thanks to the smooth and form-fitting design.
The extra-thick neoprene material improves blood circulation and protects from overextended ligaments, and the breathable fabric will resist moisture during long workouts.
- Open-patella design for added comfort
- Velcro straps are easy to adjust
- Neoprene material is breathable and moisture-resistant
- Low-cost and comfortable
- Not as durable as other braces
Best Knee Brace FAQs
1. What Does a Knee Brace Do and Why Do I Need One?
If you have the beginnings of nagging or chronic pain in your knee and regularly engage in physical activity, this is a sign your knee needs extra support. Most knee injuries result from hyper-extending a key ligament, and the best knee braces protect you by providing support and pushback to keep your knee from bending in unhealthy directions.
2. What Materials Are the Best Knee Braces Made From?
The best knee braces are made from durable synthetic materials. Lightweight models are made from synthetic and moisture-resistant fabric like neoprene and nylon, while sturdier braces made for injury recovery include molded plastic.
3. Should I See a Doctor Before Using a Knee Brace?
If you have minor knee pain, you can use a brace to see it it relieves the symptoms. If you have chronic or serious knee pain, see an orthopedic specialist before continuing physical activity.
4. Where Can I Buy the Best Knee Braces?
The following list of the best knee braces is available on Amazon or at the orthopedic support section of your local pharmacy or all-purpose retailer. Your doctor or orthopedist may also have a selection of braces.
How We Reviewed
The following list of the best knee braces was reviewed based on affordability, durability, quality of material, ease of putting on and taking off, support, flexibility, comfort, moisture resistance, therapeutic benefits, and added features like compression and pain relief.
Overall Price Range
The following list of the best knee braces ranges in price from $7 to $324, a wide disparity explained by the top models being designed by high-end sports medicine companies for professional use. The low-cost models are all-purpose support braces but don’t come with additional features.
What We Reviewed
- Copper Knee Sleeve – Knee Brace
- BioSkin Gladiator Knee Brace
- Shock Doctor Knee Brace Compression Sleeve Support
- DonJoy Tru-Pull Lite Knee Support Brace
- Copper Wear Compression Knee Sleeve
- Hinged Knee Brace
- ACE Brand Knee Brace With Dual Side Stabilizers
- Mcdavid Knee Brace
- Pro-Tec Gel-Force Knee Support
- Bracoo Knee Support
All ten of the knee braces on this list impressed us with their performance, but we found that the two high-end braces – while effective and well-designed – were so expensive at over ten times some other models that the others provided better value.
Our pick was a mid-priced model that provided comprehensive joint support and was effective for both injury recovery and everyday protection. We give our endorsement to the McDavid Knee Brace as the best knee brace on the market today.