The knee is one of the most important joints of the human body, providing support and flexibility needed to play sports, run, and engage in everyday activities for work and leisure. But it’s also one of the joints most vulnerable to damage, and knee surgeries make up a large percentage of orthopedic operations each year and come with an extended recovery period. The good news is, the best knee braces can provide the knee support you need to alleviate pain and prevent injuries and surgeries.
Your joints are important, and while many braces boast of giving you the support and protection you need, not all deliver what you want from the best knee braces: and you don’t want to find out yours is lacking once you get an injury. We’ve put together a list of the ten best knee braces to protect your knee and aid recovery so you don’t have to put yourself under the knife.
- 10 Best Best Knee Brace Review:
- 1. Copper Knee Sleeve – Knee Brace
- 2. BioSkin Gladiator Knee Brace
- 3. Shock Doctor Knee Brace Compression Sleeve Support
- 4. DonJoy Tru-Pull Lite Knee Support Brace
- 5. Copper Wear Compression Knee Sleeve
- 6. Hinged Knee Brace
- 7. ACE Brand Knee Brace with Dual Side Stabilizers
- 8. McDavid Knee Brace
- 9. Pro-Tec Gel-Force Knee Support
- 10. Bracoo Knee Support
- Best Knee Brace FAQ
10 Best Best Knee Brace Review:
1. Copper Knee Sleeve – Knee Brace
If you want a low-cost knee brace that won’t weigh you down while offering the support you need to protect your knees, this model comes in a two-pack and provides gentle compression ideal for reducing swelling. The knee brace is designed with thirty percent embedded copper for natural healing properties and improved circulation. The best selling point of this knee brace is that it is lightweight and comfortable with moisture and odor-resistant properties, but it won’t provide the heavy protection needed for post-surgery healing.
This is a perfect low-cost choice for long-term use during workouts and games, and the two-pack means you can switch out a worn-out model without a new purchase.
- Low-cost but durable knee brace
- Infused with copper for improved circulation and healing
- Lightweight and moisture-resistant
- Comes in a two-pack
- Not sturdy enough for more serious protection
2. BioSkin Gladiator Knee Brace
BioSkin is a high-end company known for its durable and physician-recommended braces and protective gear, and this front-closure model is one of the best heavy-duty knee braces for injury recovery. The rigid strapping system lets you tighten the brace to the perfect fit, and the fifteen-inch durable hinge provides maximum protection for vulnerable ligaments. The adjustable motion hinge lets you increase mobility as you heal, and the integrated gel ring around the knee bone provides comfort and reduces swelling.
Made from proprietary materials, this is a knee brace best for those recovering from surgery or serious injuries and comes with a high price tag.
- Durable and heavy-duty knee protection
- Ideal for injury recovery and swelling reduction
- Easy to adjust as recovery proceeds
- Comes with a reputation for quality
- Extremely expensive
- Less flexible than other models
3. Shock Doctor Knee Brace Compression Sleeve Support
A reliable, simple, and low-cost model that provides above-average protection, this knee compression sleeve resolves the issue of bunching and slipping with a slip-resistant silicone gripper lining. It’s stretchy and flexible, making it easy to put on and keep on thanks to the lycra bindings, and the body is made from breathable moisture-wicking neoprene. The compression design is ideal for supporting joint health and circulation, and the lightweight build is best for preventing injuries and aiding recovery from sprains and strains.
This is not a model for recovery from surgery or serious injuries, but it’s a good preventive measure to avoid them.
- Lightweight and flexible knee brace
- Won’t bunch or slip during a workout
- Material is breathable and moisture-resistant
- Comfortable for extended usage
- Not heavy-duty protection for serious injuries
4. DonJoy Tru-Pull Lite Knee Support Brace
A strong mid-priced design, this model from DonJoy gets high marks for providing heavy-duty support while not being nearly as bulky as the other post-surgery models on the list. It’s a comfortable full-knee support brace that offers patella support to correct minor dislocations, and the removable plastic hinges are ideal for limiting motion in the early recovery phases. It’s made from proprietary Breath-O-Prene material that keeps your knee cool and dry during workouts, and it won’t pick up microbes or fungi.
This is one of the best models on the list because it can transition seamlessly from post-surgery security to comfortable workout gear.
- Lighter and less obvious than most heavy-duty braces
- Excellent patella support for post-dislocation recovery
- Material resists water and microbes
- Switches between secure and flexible modes
- One of the more expensive models on the list
5. Copper Wear Compression Knee Sleeve
A low-cost, lightweight knee support ideal for preventing sprains and relieving minor muscle pain, this copper-infused sleeve is more for everyday use than for injury recovery. The elastic strip makes it a good fit for all knee sizes. It expands and contracts as needed, and it provides gentle compression to reduce swelling and prevent tendons from overextending. The copper infusion improves circulation and increases performance in a match, while the brace has therapeutic benefits for your soft tissue.
This is one of the most comfortable sleeve braces to wear thanks to the breathable and lightweight material, which comes with anti-moisture and anti-microbial technology.
- Low-cost and lightweight model
- Flexible and fits all knee sizes
- Copper infusion increases circulation and reduces swelling
- Comfortable and moisture-resistant
- Not ideal for injury recovery
6. Hinged Knee Brace
Another popular model from high-end sports gear company BioSkin, this hinged knee brace is ideal for controlling post-injury swelling thanks to the high-compression material that ensures a comfortable fit. The wrap-around design takes less to apply than the other BioSkin model on the list, with a simple strapping system and no-slip technology making it a comfortable fit. Despite its heavy-duty protection, it’s a lightweight and comfortable knee brace with offset bicentric hinges ideal for post-surgery protection.
The material comes recommended by orthopedic experts, and its breathable and hypoallergenic build is perfect for an extended workout.
- Offers heavy-duty protection thanks to hinges
- Easy to apply and remove thanks to simple strap system
- BioSkin has a reputation for quality
- Tight compression and easy adjustability
- One of the most expensive models on the list
7. ACE Brand Knee Brace with Dual Side Stabilizers
ACE is one of the most well-known brands for orthopedic support, best known for their elastic bandages, and this lightweight and low-cost brace is ideal for providing stabilizing compression for minor aches and pains. The size range has increased, covering knees from sixteen to twenty-two-inches, and it comes with dual-side stabilizers to prevent ligament damage. It’s made from a soft neoprene blend for maximum durability, and the material is breathable and wicks away moisture during workouts.
Built to fit the contours of a knee and with easy-to-adjust straps for the perfect fit, it’s an ideal solution to heal a minor injury before it gets worse.
- Low-cost and comfortable model
- Fits a wide size range
- Easy to apply and remove
- Breathable, moisture-wicking material
- Lateral stabilizers prevent injury
- Not as flexible as other brands
8. McDavid Knee Brace
If you want high-end performance without high-end pricing, this model from McDavid is a hinged knee brace that offers ideal post-surgical support and pain relief without restricting your movement. It fits both the left and right knee and has a wider range than most knee braces to help you work out and easy-to-use straps for maximum adjustability. It’s made from latex-free neoprene that provides gentle compression while warming the knee and wicking away moisture, making it ideal for extended workouts.
The nylon fabric extender prevents tearing, and the adjustable hinges make this a perfect brace for transition from recovery to workouts.
- Heavy-duty protection at a reasonable price
- Easy to adjust during recovery
- Breathable latex-free construction keeps you dry
- Hinges provide much-needed support
- Bulkier than other braces
9. Pro-Tec Gel-Force Knee Support
A lightweight and stretchy knee brace ideal for protecting weak knees from sprains and strains, this model gets high marks for its comfortable design and thick gel padding. It’s made from four-way stretch material that provides gentle compression on the knee without restricting your motion range, and the elastic will fit any knee size. The lightweight, breathable, and moisture-wicking fabric is perfect for longer workouts, and it comes with lateral and medial spiral stays that prevent overextension and ligament tears.
- Gel padding for extra comfort
- Stretchy material allows for a flexible fit
- Lightweight, breathable, and moisture-resistant
- Dual stays prevent knee injuries
- Blue color is noticeable
10. Bracoo Knee Support
Bracoo is a well-regarded brand for low-cost joint support, and this knee brace has a comfortable open-patella design that relieves stress around the knee while stabilizing the joint with padding. It’s fastened with a trio of velcro straps that let you customize your fit, and it won’t bunch or slip during workouts thanks to the smooth and form-fitting design. The extra-thick neoprene material improves blood circulation and protects from overextended ligaments, and the breathable fabric will resist moisture during long workouts.
- Open-patella design for added comfort
- Velcro straps are easy to adjust
- Neoprene material is breathable and moisture-resistant
- Low-cost and comfortable
- Not as durable as other braces
Best Knee Brace FAQ
Image Source: Pixabay.com
What Does a Knee Brace Do and Why Do I Need One?
If you have the beginnings of nagging or chronic pain in your knee and regularly engage in physical activity, this is a sign your knee needs extra support. Most knee injuries result from hyper-extending a key ligament, and the best knee braces protect you by providing support and pushback to keep your knee from bending in unhealthy directions.
What Materials Are the Best Knee Braces Made From?
The best knee braces are made from durable synthetic materials. Lightweight models are made from synthetic and moisture-resistent fabric like neoprene and nylon, while sturdier braces made for injury recovery include molded plastic.
Should I See a Doctor Before Using a Knee Brace?
If you have minor knee pain, you can use a brace to see it it relieves the symptoms. If you have chronic or serious knee pain, see an orthopedic specialist before continuing physical activity.
Where Can I Buy the Best Knee Braces?
The following list of the best knee braces is available on Amazon or at the orthopedic support section of your local pharmacy or all-purpose retailer. Your doctor or orthopedist may also have a selection of braces.
How We Reviewed
The following list of the best knee braces was reviewed based on affordability, durability, quality of material, ease of putting on and taking off, support, flexibility, comfort, moisture resistance, therapeutic benefits, and added features like compression and pain relief.
Image Source: Pixabay.com
Overall Price Range
The following list of the best knee braces ranges in price from $7 to $324, a wide disparity explained by the top models being designed by high-end sports medicine companies for professional use. The low-cost models are all-purpose support braces but don’t come with additional features.
What We Reviewed
- Copper Knee Sleeve – Knee Brace
- BioSkin Gladiator Knee Brace
- Shock Doctor Knee Brace Compression Sleeve Support
- DonJoy Tru-Pull Lite Knee Support Brace
- Copper Wear Compression Knee Sleeve
- Hinged Knee Brace
- ACE Brand Knee Brace With Dual Side Stabilizers
- Mcdavid Knee Brace
- Pro-Tec Gel-Force Knee Support
- Bracoo Knee Support
All ten of the knee braces on this list impressed us with their performance, but we found that the two high-end braces – while effective and well-designed – were so expensive at over ten times some other models that the others provided better value. Our pick was a mid-priced model that provided comprehensive joint support and was effective for both injury recovery and everyday protection. We give our endorsement to the McDavid Knee Brace as the best knee brace on the market today.
Featured Image Source: Medical photo created by whatwolf – www.freepik.com