When it comes to crushing it at the gym, you want to do yourself as many favors as you can. This involves the right combination of physical activity, sleep, and proper nutrition. Another great thing to throw into this mix are the best supplements for weight loss and muscle gain; because even though you want whole foods that are packed with the nutrients you need, there are some combinations out there that give you what foods can’t.
5 Best Supplements for Weight Loss: Editor Recommended
Frequently Ask Question About Supplements for Weight Loss:
What Makes Up the Best Supplements for Weight Loss and Muscle Gain?
You want supplements that simultaneously stimulate the metabolism while providing some common missing links in the amino acid chains that make up the proteins that build muscle. There are also certain vitamins and minerals that people chronically lack. Supplements do a good job at providing this too. On top of this, there are certain compounds that boost testosterone, the body’s natural performance enhancer. Looking for supplements that include these herbs and substances can help here big time.
How Many Supplements Should I Take?
You’ve got to remember that supplements are formed in very specific combinations. These combinations give the body exactly what it needs to do certain things. It may be tempting to try to ‘buy the store’ when it comes to maxing out your nutritional stats. But this would be a grave error. Should you go this route you’ll be reminded in not-so-subtle ways that everything you put in your body must be processed by your body. If you give it too much at once, it does not go well. Instead, try to target a system of the body for a short period of time before moving onto the next. This way you can hack nutrition like you hack pumping.
What Will Help You Absorb Supplements?
No matter what supplements you take, it won’t make much of a difference if the nutrients contained within are not absorbed by your body. So what can you do to make sure your supplements are bringing the full effect? First of all, make sure to drink lots of water between meals.
Your body will thank you in more ways than one. Also, take a break from coffee and alcohol, as these substances encourage you to lose optimal hydration fast. Also, consider taking probiotics, since they help break down nutrients quickly. Finally make sure to relax and eat a variety of different foods. Stress causes malabsorption, as can eating too much of one thing.
What Happens if I Accidentally Don’t Work Out?
So you’re taking your supplements. Then what? You skipped the gym a few times this week and took some mornings off from running? Now the best supplements for weight loss and muscle gain may be having other effects. The makers of these supplements assume that you’re working out hard. Don’t let them down or you’ll be letting yourself down. Your body might go through emotional stress without an outlet for all of the energy that’s being stimulated. In addition, the compounds that cause you to build muscle may cause you to actually store fat if you don’t work out.
What’s the Best Timing to Take Supplements?
This of course depends on what kind of supplement it is. Pre-workout supplements are best taken about a half hour to 45 min before you start your exertion. Next, make sure that you’ve got plenty of time to sleep after a particularly strenuous work out day. For recovery supplements and post-work out nutrition, be sure to get that goodness into your system as close to the end of your workout as possible, or no longer than 30 minutes afterward. This maximizes the potential of protein synthesis, or the process of muscle growth.
How We Reviewed
We made sure to only list supplements that make the grade in a variety of arenas. Are they scientifically proven to give you results? Are they easy to digest and not give you any side effects? Can you take them for an extended period of time? Do the ones that come in the form of powder taste good? The more a supplement soared in these areas, the more likely they were to make our list. You’ll find those that did below.
Overall Price Range
When pricing out supplements, it’s difficult to measure their worth based on the ingredients alone. They’re involved in a lifestyle that you’re already committed to. That said, you can expect to pay between 15 and 100 dollars for the supplements we’ve listed. Different supplements do different things, and some have higher costs to make than others. But taking the best supplements for weight loss and muscle gain are going to be worth it in the long run.
What We Reviewed
- MuscleTech NitroTech Protein Powder Plus Muscle Builder
- NatureWise CLA 1250
- Bulksupplements Creatine Monohydrate Powder
- NOW® Sports L-Glutamine Powder
- LABRADA Nutrition – Lean Body High Protein Meal Replacement Shake, Whey Protein Powder for Weight Loss and Muscle Growth
- MuscleTech Platinum Creatine Monohydrate Powder
- Omega 3 Fish Oil 2250mg
- OPTIMUM NUTRITION GOLD STANDARD 100% Whey Protein Powder
- OPTIMUM NUTRITION L-Glutamine Muscle Recovery Capsules
- Solimo Adult One Daily Multivitamin Multimineral
10 Best Supplements for Weight Loss
1. MuscleTech NitroTech Protein Powder Plus Muscle Builder
- 30 gram of whey protein per scoop: MuscleTech NitroTech Pure Whey Protein delivers 30 gram of Whey Protein, sourced primarily from whey peptides and whey isolate two of the cleanest and purest protein sources available
- Build more strength than with regular whey protein: Contains a research proven 3 gram dose of creatine monohydrate, which combined with whey protein helps to build more strength than regular whey protein. Contains milk and soy ingredients. Processed in a facility that processes wheat, egg, tree nut, peanut, fish and shellfish ingredients.
- Better macronutrient profile: Doesn't pack the extra sugar and carbs you'll see in other protein powders with only 4 grams of carbs, depending on the flavor, and no more than 2.5 grams of fat
This product is scientifically proven to build 70 percent more muscle than regular whey protein. This alone is reason enough to invest in it. It also contains compounds proven to aid recovery along with a micronization process that reduces fat and lactose naturally.
Ingredients contained within include glutamine, BCAA aminos, and a hefty dose of creatine along with the whey.
2. NatureWise CLA 1250
- GET LEAN: Improve your muscle to fat ratio with NatureWise CLA 1250, our bestselling workout supplements for women & men. Studies suggest that CLA supplements support fat loss and lean muscle gain.*
- FAT BURNER PILLS: Conjugated Linoleic acid or CLA pills are thought to function as thermogenic fat burners for men & women by reducing fat storage and prompting the body to burn fatty acids for energy to fuel your workout.*
- PREMIUM QUALITY: NatureWise CLA comes from pure, premium quality, non-GMO safflower oil obtained from certified sources and standardized to a high potency of 80% pure, active CLA 1000 mg per 1250 mg softgel.
This supplement helps form a high metabolism that will contribute to weight loss due to the conjugated linoleic acid that acts as a thermogenic fat burner. This means your body is more likely to burn fat during your workouts than other sources of energy.
The only strong ingredient contained within is conjugated linoleic acid extracted from safflower oil.
3. Bulksupplements Creatine Monohydrate Powder
- Contribute to increased muscle mass*
- Promote weight gain*
- Help boost anaerobic strength*
If it’s creatine you want, this is the best place to find it. Creatine stimulates muscle recovery and also allows you to work out harder. It also dissolves easily in water, making this a great addition to your pre or post workout shake. Creatine itself is one of the most important of our best supplements for weight loss and muscle gain.
The only ingredient found here is creatine.
4. NOW® Sports L-Glutamine Powder
L-Glutamine is essential for the rapid growth of digestive cells and cells in the immune system. It also helps the body transport nitrogen. These reasons plus a healthy nitrogen balance make it a great companion for your workouts.
The only ingredient contained here is free-form L-Glutamine.
5. LABRADA Nutrition – Lean Body High Protein Meal Replacement Shake
Meal replacement shakes are great for when you don’t want to eat a full meal during breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Here you’ve got a combination of fast and slow release proteins. It also boasts scoring a great taste award from the American Culinary Institute. This causes it to go above and beyond on our list of the best supplements for weight loss and muscle gain.
Primary ingredients include whey protein concentrate, non-dairy creamer, mono and diglycerides, dipotassium phosphate, tricalcium phosphate, soy lecithin, milk protein isolate, and dutch cocoa.
6. MuscleTech Platinum Creatine Monohydrate Powder
- FROM AMERICA'S #1 SELLING SUPPLEMENT COMPANY – MuscleTech Platinum Creatine Monohydrate Powder delivers 5g of 100% pure, HPLC-tested, micronized creatine monohydrate to increase strength, power and performance
- COMBAT MUSCLE BREAKDOWN and INCREASE GROWTH – Creatine increases intracellular fluid, resulting in bigger, fuller muscles. Rest less between sets, get more power out of each set, and get more reps from each set to stimulate more muscle fibers
- PREWORKOUT or POSTWORKOUT for MEN and WOMEN (18+) – On workout days, science shows that taking it before or after your workout delivers more lean muscle and better recovery
This brand of creatine is micronized and highly concentrated, giving you a lot of extra energy and recovery assistance. Make sure you add this or another form of creatine to your supplement game.
The only ingredient listed here is micronized creatine monohydrate.
7. Omega 3 Fish Oil 2250mg
- ★ HIGH DOSE OF 4,080MG OMEGA 3 FISH OIL – Higher EPA and DHA levels than other brands with a total of 2,250MG Omega 3 Fatty Acid content
- ★ ULTRA PURE AND REFINED – Purified with molecular distillation at minimal temperatures to remove all heavy metals, mercury, PCB's and other toxins
- ★ 100% WILD OCEAN CATCH – From Fresh, Deep Sea Sourced, Omega-rich fish. Special extraction method for the highest volume of EPA and DHA. Sustainable and traceable – Triple certified by Marin Trust, Friend of the Seas and Dolphin Safe.
Fish oil powers your brain tissue and also lubricates your muscles, which allow them to go for longer. It can also help fight inflammation of the joints and muscles as well as contribute to optimal heart health.
The only ingredient contained here is fish oil.
8. OPTIMUM NUTRITION GOLD STANDARD 100% Whey Protein Powder
- Packaging may vary - New look, with the same trusted Quality
- Gold standard 100% whey blend – 24 grams blended protein consisting of whey protein isolate, whey protein concentrate, and whey peptides to support lean muscle mass – they don't call it the Gold Standard of quality for nothing
- Over 5 grams of BCAAS ‚Äì help build lean and strong muscles with BCAAs
There’s a reason they call it the gold standard. This form of whey protein powder has been around for a long time and has been trusted again and again. The BCAA amino acids contained within can kick start muscle recovery both before and after workouts. Make sure you remember to take it with you and give your system a fighting chance when it comes to having the protein it needs. This product is a classic when it comes to the best supplements for weight loss and muscle gain.
The only ingredient contained here is whey protein.
9. OPTIMUM NUTRITION L-Glutamine Muscle Recovery Capsules
- 1000 milligram of pure l glutamine per 2 capsules
- Most abundant amino acid in the body
- Plays an important role in muscle protein development
Want all the benefits of glutamine without having to take it in a powder? Well here’s your answer. These muscle recovery capsules come with 240 per container, giving you all of the glutamine you’ll need for a while. Unless you go hard more often, that is. The best supplements for weight loss and muscle gain give the best results when you work out often.
The only ingredients contained here are L-Glutamine, gelatin, and magnesium stearate.
10. Solimo Adult One Daily Multivitamin Multimineral
- 365 tablets, a one year supply (taken daily at listed serving size)
- A blend of 30 vitamins and minerals per serving (1 tablet)
- No artificial flavors, no gluten, no lactose
A good multivitamin is essential as an individual moves through the modern lifestyle. Multivitamins basically rebalance the body’s nutrition needs wherever one’s diet has fallen short. When taken with other foods, the body absorbs the nutrients contained within and those compounds are then readily available. Of course it’s ideal to get a great deal of your vitamins and minerals from whole food sources, but this isn’t always possible. Solimo Adult One Daily Multivitamin Multimineral contains a blend of 30 vitamins and minerals, providing a capstone on the arc of your nutritional make up.
There are several ingredients to include here. More than any other suppliment we’ve mentioned. They are: Calcium Carbonate, Potassium Chloride, Dicalcium Phosphate, Magnesium Oxide, Microcrystalline Cellulose, Maltodextrin, Ascorbic Acid, Ferrous Fumarate. Contains 2% or less of beta-carotene, BHT, biotin, carboxymethylcellulose sodium, cholecalciferol, chromium picolinate, cupric sulfate, cyanocobalamin, D-calcium pantothenate, dl-alpha tocopherol, dl-alpha tocopheryl acetate, DL-tartaric acid, FD&C blue no. 2 lake, FD&C red no. 40 lake, FD&C yellow no. 6 lake, folic acid, gelatin, and glucose
Also contained: gum arabic, hydroxypropyl methylcellulose, magnesium stearate, manganese sulfate, medium chain triglycerides, nickel sulfate, nicotinamide, phytonadione, polydextrose, polyethylene glycol, polyvinyl alcohol, potassium iodide, pyridoxine hydrochloride, retinyl acetate, riboflavin, silicon dioxide, sodium ascorbate, sodium benzoate, sodium metavanadate, sodium molybdate, sodium selenite, sorbic acid, stannous chloride, starch, sucrose, sunflower oil, talc, thiamine mononitrate, titanium dioxide, tocopherol, tricalcium phosphate, zinc oxide. May contain carnauba wax, povidone, sodium selenate, triacetin.
It took a lot of thought because choosing the winning supplement also means prioritizing what kind of supplement is most important. So make sure that in addition to looking at the winner we chose, you also decide for yourself what kind of supplement you require based on your body’s needs. For us though, the most impressive supplement we looked at was LABRADA Nutrition – Lean Body High Protein Meal Replacement Shake, Whey Protein Powder for Weight Loss and Muscle Growth. The reason we chose this was because it was the most all-inclusive of all of the supplements.
It was also the best tasting according to the American Culinary Institute. And taste matters, especially if you’re going to be ingesting these supplements on a regular basis. Again, make sure that you don’t lean on these supplements too heavily. Even in the case of our winner, you shouldn’t be replacing more than one meal a day. Like with anything else in life, it’s all about balance: even with the best supplements for weight loss and muscle gain.
Featured image source: Unsplash